Thursday, August 22, 2013

Agave americana ‘striata’, my favorite plant in the garden (this week)…


I’m afraid you’re going to be underwhelmed at this week’s favorite. Maybe a little back-story will help? This is a story of persistence and luck.

I first laid eyes on Agave americana ‘striata’ when I visited San Marcos Growers in 2009. Since it was growing in their display garden without a name (two photos below) I called it Agave ‘marmoleum’ because the random stripes on the leaves made me think of marmoleum (the new fangled version of old fashioned linoleum).

Thankfully their Randy Baldwin commented on that post and gave me the name, and my search started.

The next time I ran across it was at the Ruth Bancroft Garden in 2012. It was in their behind-the-scenes nursery, we’d been allowed back there to look at the plants and were pushing our luck trying to buy a couple. I passed on this specimen, I wanted it badly but there were other more healthy looking things calling out to me.

So after that, when I finally did end up with a Agave americana ‘striata’ in my hands I didn’t even recognize it for what it was, it looked so bad. Here it is when I bought it home last fall as part of the agave rescue

Pretty pathetic right? And those random yellow stripes were just faintly visible. Early this spring I planted it up in a container and placed it in the driveway, near the vegetable stock tanks. I figured this was the best place for it to get a lot of heat (southern exposure, concrete, and a dark wall) and I’d remember to splash some water on it frequently, whenever I waterd the vegetables.

It has rewarded me with lots of new growth and those random yellow stripes I wanted. Now I’ll just need to decide if it goes in the ground next spring or gets potted up to a larger container.

The stats:
  • Reaches 6-8 ft wide and 4-6 ft tall (in the ground)
  • Wants full sun and is drought tolerant (and of course not moisture tolerant)
  • Hardy to 15-20 F
  • Native to Mexico

Do you have a favorite in your garden this week? Please share it in the comments below, and if you've got a blog post about it include the link so we all can find it!

All material © 2009-2013 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

27 comments:

  1. I like this rather muted striping. It's a bit more subtle than some agave coloring - not that I have a single thing against strong coloring, of course! I'm glad it's re-paying your TLC with happy growth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not every plant in your garden should shout at you right? A little subtlety is a good thing.

      Delete
  2. It's wonderful when our persistence pays off. Great plant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual spectacular shots. Hey in yesterday's post, what was that red striped grass? Is it Red Baron? Will it spread (Invasively) or should it be in a pot. Southern Oregon near Medford. Thanks, Gerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gerry! I know it as Japanese Blood Grass, but uponlooking it up I see indeed it is also known as Imperata cylindrica 'Red Baron.'

      I will say that for me at least it's a very well behaved grass. However where I've got it growing (two places) it stays very dry over the summer so that might keep it in check. If it were in a moister situation it might be a little happier (aka...spreading).

      Delete
  4. Wow, this is a big boy! Nice plant and so great you rescued it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I'll never see it reach that size...

      Delete
  5. Plants that exhibit positive traits, like resilience, deserve to be recognized. What are you going to do when you run out of space for your rescues? You may have to set up a network of foster homes.

    Here's my contribution to your favorite's meme: http://krispgarden.blogspot.com/2013/08/my-favorite-plant-this-week-brugmansia.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Run out of space? Eek. Let's just not think about that.

      Off to check out your fav!...

      Delete
  6. Quite a good recovery there, and I feel guilty now as I have one languishing in the middle shelf in the greenhouse....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not like you guys haven't been busy! (and I'm sure it's still feeling the love).

      Delete
  7. Those random stripes are cool and it's looking quite good considering how it looked upon arrival. I don't know that I've seen one of those around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are still fairly hard to come by...but wait, next weekend you'll probably stumble upon a huge one!

      Delete
  8. A fairy tale ending for both you and this poor waif that you rescued. Mine is also doing well but I haven't potted it up yet. That'll be a good project for this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! Oh and I ran into Sally and Tonya at the Farwest Show today...fun ladies as always!

      Delete
  9. I'm not underwhelmed at all. That coloring is so pretty! I need you to stop making me want all the plants, damn it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think every one of your plants has a biography attached. With so many of them, you must feel a bit like the woman who lived in a shoe (with so many children she didn't know what to do).
    My fave this week is an Opuntia. Sheesh, I am so suggestible (so I guess your plan must be working).
    http://bannersbyricki.com/archives/3280

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be on to something there ricki, I am a bit of a story collector.

      Delete
  11. I would get nervous about any A. americana in the ground, but your climate may keep them in check. Here, they rapidly become ineradicable, ever-expanding thickets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously in check Hoov, as in I've got one that's been in the ground for 3 years and its only about a foot wide. Sad.

      Delete
  12. Howdy again. My fave for this week is Billardiera longiflora.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there danger garden!
    Fargesia robusta 'Campbell' is my favorite this week: http://mulchmaid.blogspot.com/2013/08/my-favorite-plant-in-garden-this-week_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the info - I just picked up a good size pup from our local Cactus Club. Hoping that it can take our sun, so many variegated plants have a tough time in Phoenix.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Comment moderation is on (because you know: spam), I will approve and post your comment as soon as possible!