Tuesday, January 14, 2014

More from Portland Nursery…


I took so many photos during my visit to Portland Nursery I thought I’d share a few more (plus there were other plant purchases we need to discuss). Pedilanthus or Devil's backbone, I couldn’t buy this plant because I don't have the strength to resist the temptation to pull off all the leaves.

Euphorbia stenoclada

So so spiky.

Whenever I see one of these grafted plants I think of the characters on Star Trek which my brothers and I called “The Bunheads.”

Look leaves!

Lots of spikes…

And friendly plants too...

Loved this begonia.

And I have a love/hate relationship with the colorful crotons.

But you know I love me some colorful pottery!

As I seem to blog about every winter, a visit to the greenhouse at the Division St Portland Nursery is a great way to shake the winter blues. With all the houseplants and decorative pottery 30% off this coming weekend (at both Portland Nursery locations) it’s a great time to visit!

Even the tillandsias will be on sale…

And the staghorns…

And the bonsai…

So what else did I buy? Here’s “my haul”

I fell hard for this Cryptocereus 'fan' Selenicereus chrysocardium…

It wasn’t quite right for my Case Study planter but I picked it up to go in this white hanging container from IKEA (photo from summer 2012). The mixed succulent planting hasn’t looked good for awhile now. It will live in the basement and go outside for the summer.

I also picked up another Cryptanthus (it’s not blurry in real life)…

And this Stapelia. I have no idea if the dark color is natural or due to stress, but I loved it!

The sale details:
30% off all houseplants
Friday January 17 thru Sunday January 19, 2014
Both locations, Stark St and Division St

The fine print…as I mentioned Portland nursery extended their 30% off sale prices to me in advance so that I could shop and post about it before the sale. They also kindly gave me a $25 gift card. I acknowledge these kindnesses but also trust you know I only write about things I am really and truly excited about.

All material © 2009-2014 by Loree Bohl for danger garden. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited and just plain rude.

24 comments:

  1. I think the "cryptocereus" is probably Selenicereus chrysocardium; Cryptocereus is presently an obsolete genus, according to Plant List, and the plant that comes up in Google image search results for "cryptocereus" looks to be mostly Selenicereus anthonyanus (formerly C. anthonyanus), which has thicker, differently-shaped cladodes.

    I'm also pleased to see you got the Stapelia; I considered commenting on yesterday's post to say I was disappointed that you'd passed it up, but didn't (because who wants to hear that?), so it was a nice surprise to see it in today's post. Stapeliads are the best.

    Also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you read my blog Mr S, so you can give me helpful hints and corrections! Thank you. As for the Stapelia do you think it will retain that coloring?

      Delete
    2. I doubt it. I don't think my plants have ever gotten quite that gray/purple, but they have changed color a little bit when outside for the summer, and they don't look like that now, after a few months back inside.

      Delete
  2. I love that dark-leaved Begonia! That would have come home with me. Those huge Crotons too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you're a croton lover huh? That begonia was HUGE (and priced accordingly) that's the main reason it stayed behind. The next time I see a smaller one, it's mine!

      Delete
    2. Damn it, I really want that begonia (is something I never thought I'd say). Great haul!

      Delete
  3. You got some great plants! I fell in love with the zig zag foliage of that epiphyllum looking plant (Selenicereus chrysocardium) when I saw and got one last fall. Way cool! That blue spiky euphorbia is gorgeous. It's funny because I was just at an area nursery that is doing 30% off on houseplants and pots (70% off on holiday stuff) this month and bought some house plants. (Really indoor outdoor plants.) Great minds think alike. Or is it plant-addicted gardeners looking for a fix think alike?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of that plant we saw at Filoli when I bought this one...and I wish I would have remembered Shayne's phrase "indoor/outdoor" it totally applied here!

      Delete
  4. That's a great haul! I fell for Cryptanthus when I picked one up to use in a terrarium. I recently saw an unusual (to me, anyway) variety at another nursery but put it down when I saw the price; however, as I'm still thinking about it, I may cave yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love most cryptanthus, they're so easy. I just wish the babies rooted a little more readily.

      Delete
  5. That Selenicereus is new to me, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The white hanging pot is going to be killer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you see the possibilities too. I was going to try and wait until spring to plant it (so the cuttings that are in the white pot now can just go in the ground) but I'm getting antsy...

      Delete
  7. Nice choices that you made, and such nice things to browse through that you didn't get -- this time.

    Devil's Backbone was one of my mother's favorites, for whatever reason. I've never been able to bring myself to buy a Croton.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got that Devil's backbone, though I never knew that's what it's called. Mine only has a few leaves at the top, so maybe it wouldn't mind it if you pulled them off ;)

    That Euphorbia stenoclada is gorgeous. What a great nursery, such variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The E. stenoclada is one I would have liked to take home, it was a little on the pricey side though.

      Delete
  9. Those are some really pretty succulants. I generally prefer planting vegetables but some of those succulants are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Variety is the spice of life, don't ya know...

      Delete
  10. Very interesting visit yet again! I'll have to catch up on the first post on this place. And I thought I took many pics at a nursery in southern Calif. last week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll be sharing those pictures?

      Delete
  11. Looking at those bonsai I see thighs, Rubenesque thighs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank god! I did too, but I didn't say anything because I didn't want to distort anyone's perception.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Comment moderation is on (because you know: spam), I will approve and post your comment as soon as possible!